Serbia 2014

May 28 2014

Day 1

We will call this day 1, although it spans a day and a half traveling. My wife and I were able to leave nearly as desired from our daughter’s to friends in Aurora, IL for supper and transportation to the airport. Just an encouragement, if you live near an airport, or within a reasonable driving distance, it is a very nice service for the Lord to store vehicles for a trip and/or take someone to and from the airport. You are an encouragement and will be encouraged.

Maybe it was the time of day (10:25 pm flight time), but we have never gotten through the lines so fast! There was one person in front of us at the ticket counter and no line at the security check in, so we had a nice wait near the gate in O’Hare. The flight was uneventful, with a couple naps along the way so we would be tired when we arrived at our destination. Plane seats are too narrow to allow computer use, but we were able to get some things accomplished while waiting in Frankfurt Germany during the afternoon. We arrived at Novi Sad at 10:00pm, greeting Steve Luibrand at the airport and Jenny as we arrived at their place an hour later.

Day 2

We both slept fine and started into the days activities, getting acquainted with Steve and Jenny’s five children and looking over what needed to be done. Fred and Steve went to register with the police that we were in the country and then checked out a store to see what supplies would be available for the work. Sue arose a little later, was shown the garden, read to the children (grandmother thing) and then went for a walk with the family after lunch. The evening was Sue going with Jenny and Joe to soccer practice. After dinner and even after supper Fred and Steve were planning some of the construction for shelves in their study/laundry room, door molding and a few other details. Now bed needs to call so the jet lag can be avoided and we are ready for the morrow.

Day 3

Much more normal day today. It is always encouraging to see a family have devotions in the morning to train the children in the ways of the Lord. Steve and I went to a friends to borrow a sewing machine and a drill. He was very generous and sent us back with several of the wood working tools, such as a cut off saw, small table saw and many other small tools to aid in the work. After that we went to the store for the many supplies needed to put in a laundry closet. Home arrival was just in time for Steve to transport some ladies to a week end retreat, and then return for Jenny and Sue. Fred started into the work, getting a couple pieces cut to shape before supper. Pray for Sue as the local custom is to ask the out of town guests to speak. An honor, but a responsibility.

Day 4

Not a lot of exciting news from Fred as the day was spent making the sheets that will cover the new closet in the “green” room. Did get to glue on a few sheets, until ran out of glue and then went to a soccer game for William. Sue had been off to a ladies retreat, so will get a report on that.

Sue reports a VERY enjoyable time at the ladies retreat. Went through some historic sites on the way dating back to 1700. Wow. More women then ever attended. More women had something to say than ever. The subject was ‘faith’, and it was defined, experiences shared, and testimonies given as to how it was found in the Lord Jesus Christ. Several were there quite elderly, and it was a delight to Sue’s heart to see them bunking with the rest of us not-so-young and younger, and then find them reading their Bibles already when I awoke this morning. The food is great, the men serving us were friendly servants, the fellowship and game playing was a good time even with not speaking the language of each other. Jenny and another gal translated for me during the sessions, and a third gal translated for me when I had something to say to the whole group. It is amazing all the nationalities present in Serbia. There was one there that I realized was understanding what I said, and she has been in Australia for 48 years, and came back to visit her sisters. Some had come from Belgrade, and there were Gypsy women there with daughters, too.

We’re off to bed early I hope. Fred is getting a cold, and Sue is just tired. She is very thankful for Sharon’s recommendation to take melatonin, and for Jane to get her some. It has made all the difference in getting over jet lag.

Day 5

Such a good and long day with the Lord’s people that an update was not considered. We were on the road to the meeting in Novi Sad with Fred driving as there were too many people for the Luibrand’s van. The assembly appears to be older, but it was a sweet time thinking about the preciousness of the Lord. You could pray that they could evangelize and have younger ones join the group. The Lord’s Supper was the only meeting. Fred had developed a cold overnight and Steve would say that jet lag was setting in, so as soon as we returned to the Luibrand’s home, Fred went for a long noon nap.

Another group of believers was having a baptism in the Danube river in the afternoon, so we joined the festivities. How wonderful to have a baptism in the public where people play ball near by, dogs play in the river, and some locals stop by to see what is going on. It is so much better than being isolated in our buildings. There were at least two and some others that came by to see what was happening. Some people next to us seemed to be making a video on their phone of the activities. The Lord may use this as one more opportunity for these unbelievers to hear of the change in the peoples lives. Those who were baptized gave their testimonies and were encouraged to follow the Lord at all costs and in spite of the temptations of the devil. There was pizza and other goodies afterwards, and much fellowship and singing. There were even some who could speak English and make us feel more welcome, helping us ‘visit’ with those around.

After a late supper, and the children were in bed, we were able to spend some time encouraging Steve and Jenny by hearing and telling stories and sharing our hearts for growth among believers.

Pictures: 1. Entrance to the chapel. 2. 3. 4. Believers being baptized. The last one was added the day before. 5. Instruction for the newly baptized. 6. Fellowship and singing.

Day 6

A small table was set up to hold a borrowed sewing machine for Sue, and Steve and Fred left to get more supplies in Novi Sad. After a late lunch Steve and Fred started attaching the ceiling tile (design-molded Styrofoam) in their bed room, getting half of it completed before time to quit. Sue continued through the day mending and teaching William how to sew. She took all the kids for a walk in the evening exploring along the ‘tractor’ road, a dirt jeep-trail we would say in the states that goes past fields of corn, beans, barley, fruit trees, and hay, all belonging to different farmers. Looked down into an old potato cellar, and saw a couple of hares (HUGE!). It’s perfectly fine to pick flowers so they brought Jenny a bouquet of wild delphinium, birds-foot trefoil, and red poppy. The family called the parents in the states for belated Mothers’ Day greetings so we all gladly fell into bed when we could say we were done with the day.

Thanks for praying, and remembering us with your greetings,

Fred and Susanna (what I’m introduced as here, because once again, they do not know what to do with ‘Sue’)

Pictures: 1. Start on the bed room ceiling. 2. Sue helping William. 3. Field of flowers.

Day 7

With most things purchased that are currently needed, Steve and I were able to get the rest of the ceiling in their bed room completed. As there was discussion about the molding for the ceiling, the work slowed until it was decided so I continued on the storage shelves in the laundry room. Sue continued to mend many items from the children, started teaching them how to use the sewing machine while making something for their mom, and even supervised awhile so Jenny could go look at paint and molding with Steve ALONE!

It’s really quite chilly, and rain is suppose to be joining it soon.

Day 8

The rain has come and has been steady all day. Steve tells us that Europe is different than the United States for weather as they do not have hurricanes or tornadoes. They seldom have thunderstorms. That would make the disturbances of the Tribulation period much more unusual for the people on this side of the world. The weather did not cause a slow down in the work as we spent most of the day putting the trim around the ceiling tile. The tile and the molding are Styrofoam and glued to the existing structure. It makes for a nice look and easy application. By the end of the day we had cleaned up in preparation for laying the laminate floor.

We had been invited to join an assembly meeting in Kulpin, which is about an hour away, on the further side of Novi Sad. As we traveled to this village we went through Backi Petrovac, which is where a lot of evangelical Christians are located. The significance of this statement is that the percentage of Christians in Serbia is skewed with a high concentration in one area and very few elsewhere. Visiting another assembly enabled us to see another work of the Lord and to meet more believers in this country. It was a wonderful and well balanced gathering. These are a Slovak people, so the hymnal and songs were in Slovak, but the announcements and conversations were in Serbian because we were visiting. They skipped the usual prayer meeting to provide more time for the American to speak with Steve translating. Afterward, because they knew we were coming, they had snacks: homemade sweet waffles, homemade yeast pastry which was marbled sweet white and chocolate bread rolled into a long pinwheel with butter and sugar and then topped with cinnamon and sugar before baking that made a crunchy top and FRESH strawberries from a local farmer. There were enough English speakers (they study it in school starting in 1st grade. Used to be Russian was the language taught.) that the fellowship was very pleasant beyond the smiles and handshakes.

Sue got the mending up to date until she can go with Jenny to find zippers and an elusive color of thread she would like to mend one of the boys jackets. She’s ready to make the crate covers and pantry curtain or tackle other items on Jenny’s list. It is too miserable out for a good walk, but there is plenty to do with the kids anyway. Wishes she’d bought her overshoes. :>)

Day 9

The rain has continued as well as the work inside. We were able to keep the saws outside under overhangs so the dust could remain out there too. Steve and Fred were able to get the laminate floor laid, some of the molding cut, and the bed returned to the room. Rejoice with Steve and Jenny that they could be back in their bed in their room, instead of crowding the dining room/living room. After we finish fastening the molding, the wardrobes as well as their deep freezer will go into the room.

Sue was still at the sewing machine. She had helped David mend his own jeans the other day, and this time it was Joe. He was so excited when he finished them well. David, Will, and Joe are working together sewing something for their mom, and made some more progress on that when they had breaks from school work and soccer practice. Sue went to a little (packed!) shop with Jenny and purchased some zippers so she could get some pajamas and winter coats ready to use again. Amazingly, we all needed to wear such if we spent much time outside!

It’s a happy thought to notice how the passages we read and talk about during family devotions give us something to chew on for the rest of this particular day.

Day 10

Another day of rain, although it has started to have some breaks in the saturation. There has been about 5 inches in the last three days, and all are looking forward to getting outside again. Southern Serbia has had flooding and mud slides to contend with. Pray that the Christians would have a heart and find the means for helping out as a way to bring more Serbs to salvation.

The molding was put in place in the bed room and then the work returned to the storage shelves where a pipe in the corner is being covered and the design for doors and shelves is being made.

Sue finished replacing jackets and sleepers zippers with interruptions all day from the boys having time from school work to work on the sewing project gift for their mom. She also fried home-grown chicken for lunch which Jenny has been wanting to know how to do, and made gravy, too, which we had with Jenny’s homemade biscuits, which Sue is terrible at making. We had pickled beets for our vegetable… a favorite of the whole family as well as Fred and Sue! Our drink was juice made from boiling elderberry blossoms in water with some sugar and then adding it to cold water when needed. The syrup had been in the freezer. About 1 to 3 syrup to water! Yummy. (Have we told you the main meal is at noon, and supper is usually thick slices of bread with something on it (ijvar, peanut butter, rosehip spread, honey, butter, jelly)¬, a slice of cheese maybe, milk, and available fruit.)

It was cold enough Steve started a little fire this morning! Great heater.

Day 11

Time to do some shopping. There was a desire to see the market in Novi Sad on Saturday as that is the big day, and to make some purchases for more work. We were near the area where Steve and Jenny first lived in Serbia, so drove by the apartment building whose view in now blocked by two large office buildings built since moved to Kac`.

A comment on the market: there were just as many vendors as have been observed in other countries, but it seemed much cleaner and more organized The fresh produce was beautiful and Jenny never seemed to be concerned someone was going to slip a spoiled or over age product in her bag. There was no bartering in this market. Jenny was able to see some vendor acquaintances they had made over the years and purchased a bouquet of flowers from the lady outside under an umbrella in the continuing rain who has been there every day that Jenny has ever come to market.

We stopped by a fabric store recommended by Jenny’s friend to find a different pantry curtain fabric and other needs. It was a small shop with floor to ceiling bolts of cloth…nothing else. Most 2 meters wide bolts, and some hanging from clipped rods floor to ceiling. Jenny and Sue found what they were looking for and Steve and Fred and children used the time to put windshield wipers on the van. Sue and Jenny kept being offered more fabric to buy as they’d comment on something, and soon learned their clerk understood English so was following their conversation. The other clerks did not know Jenny knows Serbian as they were talking among themselves and became quite embarrassed when they asked if we spoke any Serbian. It was really quite fun, and Sue hopes to go back to get a few things to bring back to the States. A stop at a large grocery store for a major resupply of groceries and diapers and then home. Even had samples today! And 12% off your whole order today trying to get people to shop on the week-end. It was busy.

After a late lunch, Fred was able to get the ceiling in the storage shelves while Steve caught up on a few computer things, and Sue cleaned the oven. She eventually commandeered Joe’s assistance and they were quite pleased with the outcome of their work. She worked with the Will and Joe on their projects in-between their Saturday cleaning chores.

We haven’t received any personal stories yet about the flooding, but there are a lot of pictures on the internet if you go look. Jenny and Sue visited a friend this afternoon and their church is collecting water, diapers, staples, to send south to the area. We also saw a house here in Kac` that had lost part of an upper wall due to rain dissolving the mortar between the bricks.

Day 12

Just as in the States, Sundays are full of activities, but it is so enjoyable to have a change in schedule and spend time with the Lord’s people. We again purposed to arise early to be with the Lord’s people in Novi Sad on time. It is refreshing to spend the time thinking about what the Lord has done for us even if we can’t understand what everyone else is singing and saying about the subject at the moment. The tunes we recognize we sing along in English, and pick up on the passages read to follow along for that much. After returning home we changed clothes had a time of singing English hymns and songs as a family, and took a walk with all the kids while Steve and Jenny fixed lunch. It was a beautiful, mild, sunny day. Everything looks so washed after all the rain. The cherries are almost ready so we had some nibbles as we walked along as that is what the city plants in their right-of-ways! The gardens and flower beds are just beautiful in most everyone’s yard that you can see into through their fence or gate.

In the middle of the afternoon we drove for about an hour northeast to the city of KiKinda, which is near the border of Romania, to see and encourage a Gypsy family that is doing a work among their own people. They had taught several and then had the sheep stolen to a group that has no eternal security and desires outward manifestations of the Spirit working. We were able to spend a few hours encouraging from the Word. Then Fred and Steve shared a meeting of teaching from the Word with more gathered people followed by Steve answering a few more questions before departing for the late drive home.

A quick bite of food and we were off to bed after 11 PM.

Pray for us to keep on task this week for finishing tasks we came to do. Steve and Jenny want us to see things, too, and it cuts into task finishing!

Day 13

We have little to write to cover out day: Fred worked on the storage shelves all day. Sue designed, cut, and finished the curtains for the pantry shelves. Would have hung them but the guys do not have the hardware for her yet. They were a little pesky because of the pattern, but they’re done and passed inspection.

Other tidbits: The weather was BEAUTIFUL; made it to 71 degrees F. Many neighbors have been calling the ‘guy’ to empty their septic tanks since all the rain so Steve and Jenny decided to check theirs and it was inches from the top so the tractor and tank came about 7 PM to empty it. Took two trips. The village has started putting in city sewer somewhere, but ran out of money, went to another village and did theirs, and has not said when they’re coming back to work in Kac`. Sue tried her whole wheat bread recipe in Jenny’s bread machine, cutting it down from her usual 8 loaves to 1. While it tasted fine, it raised the lid and fell when it baked, so will tweak that today. Anyone know if that was too much yeast, too much ingredients, too much time, or???? Translated our Katie’s strawberry jam recipe for metric and determined how many strawberries for Jenny to order. Will be making freezer jam Thursday!

Day 14

A big change in the schedule for the day as we went to the fair. This is the national agricultural fair that would compare to the Iowa State Fair and was opening this day. We noticed as we were arriving and looking for a parking spot that there were several black limousines near the entrance. While we were inside there was a line of traditionally dressed young people, and then this large crowd of people in black suits coming toward us being followed by many reporters and camera men. We recognized it was the previous prime minister, leader of the opposition party, and though there were body guards and police around, we were no more than 15 feet from him with no having searched us when we entered the fair a few minutes earlier.

It was a fine day seeing the different lines of machinery, some of which are also sold in the United States, such as Claus, New Holland, Duetz, and John Deere. There were many implements for tilling the soil and harvesting crops that are much different than ours. There seemed to be many booths that sold parts, such as gears, belts and pins, for major repairs. During the walk we were able to see some of the livestock. There was not a wide variety of breeds for each species, but quite a number available for display. A highlight for the kids was the horses, and they were delightful for us because they are all Lipizzaner’s! Some were very unhappy to be penned and were making a huge ruckus kicking the door to their stall, pawing their hooves, and straining at their head ropes. Then there were all the booths of fine fair utensils. The food is so artfully displayed. The hot foods of choice were pig and lamb roasting on spits all over the fair. We ate our lunch in a booth beside one such spit… sold us lamb by the kilo which came with flat bread and shredded lettuce/cabbage in vinegar/sugar on the side. Delicious. Other choices were pork the same way, or huge hamburgers with many toppings, or various sausages, all with flatbread.

The only other kind of food stands are HUGE candy offerings with nuts or breads at some, and then there were some soft serve ice cream stands. We purchased an unusual candy that reminds us of sponge candy only it is softer, and it was chocolate. Also, poppy seeds are a big deal in many many foods so we bought a poppy seed filled bread to bring back to the states as well. How much are poppy seeds by the pound in the US? Maybe Sue should bring some home to try her hand at making some of this. It is so good.

Before we came back to Kac` we stopped for Sue to get some more fabric to bring to US and at the nicest ‘Menards’ kind of store for supplies to finish some of the projects. Made an ice cream stop in downtown Kac` so it was after 7 when we got to the house. Sue’s bread tweaks helped, but she’s not done tweaking yet.

Day 15

You may have noticed the lateness of posting the days activities; they have been FULL. This day we traveled to the Bible school in time for lunch and then on to see the sights around Belgrade.

Our first stop was outside the village of Mosorin at a Serbian Orthodox church of St Nikola which was located on a hill overlooking the village from a high plateau. The inside had many paintings on the walls, but were being destroyed by the inside coating plaster over the bricks coming off. One of the maintenance men pointed out a well on the property that Serbs were thrown into alive during World War II to kill them. The plateau was formed from clay and silt blown there after the flood. Reminds one of the loess soils of western Iowa, although more yellow. In the cut for the road on the way to the top there were hundreds of beautiful unique, bank-dwelling birds called bee-eaters.

Travelling through much beautiful countryside we came to the Bible school where Steve teaches periodically. It was originally a motel and has very beautiful architecture and grounds for the students to be located at. The 20 students spend a year in Bible survey taught by different invited teachers doing a book at a time. Currently they are studying Jeremiah and the last third of Acts. Two subjects came up: They have a nice library, but could use good commentary’s authored in the last few years (many of the older standards are in place). There was concern for how to respond to the flooding that occurred in central Serbia and Bosnia along the Sava river. There are even fewer Christians in that area, so there is a need for Christians to go, and perhaps for money to get the Gospel out to a people in so much darkness.

After lunch we followed Steve (Fred was driving the second car with Jenny as tour guide, as we do not all fit in one car) into Belgrade to see the largest operating Orthodox temple in the world. The key word is ‘operating’ as a larger one is being built in Russia. This one was started nearly 100 years ago, but has been delayed through the Balkan wars, two world wars and Communist oppression. The outside looks very nice with the marble façade, but the inside has much more work to be done. As in the previous building we visited, Steve pointed out that the mass is done behind a curtain where the people can hear, but cannot see the ritual until the priest comes out at the end. It reminds one of replacing the veil of the Old Testament and having the priest be the intermediary between God and man instead of the Lord Jesus Christ. On the way to the temple we also drove by the Belgrade Fortress, which was the line sometimes held by the Hungarian Empire and sometimes by the Ottoman Empire. It has massive wall built up over the years. The closest description to the driving is New York City, only with streets half as wide, and tractor-trailer rigs and buses barreling down the street beside you or a bicycle. There is also no grace for forgetting a turn signal, or delaying in any way. Jenny doesn’t know her way around very well, so we were trying so hard to stay close to Steve, but if Fred backed off an inch, someone would be trying to squeeze in-between us. It reminded Sue of the Benji movie she has seen with Katie’s boys, only with regular cars instead of the little sports car in the movie. As Fred commented once, it would have been nice if they’d had wider horses when they’d laid out the streets.

We returned to have supper with Brosha, Cecilia, and family, one of the few Christians in Kac`. It was a good time of fellowship.


We and the whole family tried to get back to a more normal schedule, but we were all still tired from the traveling, walking, sightseeing so the whole day was ‘late’. Fred did a couple “fix it” jobs putting up a curtain rod and checking Jenny’s bike, before getting to the shelves for the linen closet. Sue helped the boys finish a sewing project for their mother between school work assignments, and then made some shorts and a slip for Katie. Steve and Jenny met with the public school administrator about the children taking a few classes next year while we ‘watched’ the kids. We thought we were doing a good job until Steve and Jenny arrived and found Peter wandering around the hall and living room depositing rolled oats wherever he felt some was needed, from the bag kept on the floor in the kitchen.

It warmed up considerably. Makes one thankful for concrete building methods, and electricity so we can have a fan. Everyone tried to get to bed earlier so we can try again to have a better work day Friday.

Day 17

Our being here provided an opportunity for Steve and Jenny to have time together without the children. While two of the boys were at soccer practice and the other three on a walk with us and listening to stories, Steve and Jenny bicycled off to read and talk together without interruption for a couple hours. After their return they determined it was the first time they were both able to be on bicycles together since they have had children as one had to push a buggy or stay home with the smaller ones. Sue, Joe, and Katie made a mess together in the kitchen using up ‘old’ bananas and made a banana cake without any mechanical tools at all. Had to make a couple substitutions, and were pleasantly surprised at their results!

Progress is continuing, but the end of our time here is looming. The curtain for the pantry is done and hung, and Sue finished repairing the quilt. She spent the rest of the day making some summer clothes for Katie. Fred spent the day getting shelves in place in the linen closet.

Day 18

Another day of getting projects done. Fred was attaching doors to the front of the shelves while Sue cooked, and started another sewing project –covers for the Rubbermaid crates that sit in the hall. Steve had asked for homemade desserts so whenever Sue cooked she made a dessert, too. This time it was sweetened and thickened pie cherries on a plasma (digestive biscuits) crust and topped with whipped cream. For the main meal we had chicken breasts, from the chickens Steve and Jenny buy from their neighbor, cooked in coconut milk and spices along with green onions and sweet red peppers. Jenny went out and picked their broccoli crop for now which we steamed.

The highlight of the evening was meeting the family of Vlado and Sylvana. Vlado was working another long day as he has for the last while, so was not there. You may not be familiar with these names, but they are a Gypsy couple that were saved through a Bible study with Steve and Jenny, and we have prayed through their ups and downs walking with the Lord. It was great to meet the family face to face, and visit with them through Steve and Jenny interpreting. It would seem the problems and questions of life are the same the world over. The major subject of conversation was appropriate dress for a teen daughter and the pressure from her school society to follow the world standard. As far as is known, they are the only Christians in their school, and fellowship is very limited because while Steve and Jenny are in the next village, they do not have teenagers yet.

We stayed later than planned for a Saturday night so was a hurrying, late supper and baths and off to bed when we got home. That’s the same the world over as well it seems.

Day 19

Another beautiful Lord’s day. Though it had been a later night than wanted Saturday, everyone was up and ready to go for meeting with the Lord’s people around His table. Afterwards, it was time to say farewell to those we’ve been with there the last 3 weeks. The joy of the Christian fellowship is that we have an expectation to meet again in heaven, if not here on this earth, and will not have the barrier of language. They all send their greetings to those we will see as we return to our home land.

Stopped at Tempo, the closest thing to a Costco, for things to add to our suitcases, then on back to Steve and Jenny’s home for a time of singing and a Bible lesson with the family in English. They had asked us to prepare something to share this week. After dinner the children were sent for a nap and the adults were able to converse alone. It was a beautiful day with a small breeze and pleasant temperature so we sat out under their cherry tree for a couple hours.

During an evening game of Sequence with the children, a Christian family, with children of similar age, dropped by to meet the Luibrand’s. They had fled from Kosovo during the war (1998) and have been living and working in Kac` since then. It is nice to have strangers drop by for conversation and make plans for the local Christians to get together. It did create another late night for getting to bed, but everyone was happy about such a nice day of fellowship and making new friends. Though we couldn’t visit, we appreciated seeing the customs practiced among neighbors and what is expected to be hospitable. The visitors brought a treat, a big chocolate bar since this was their first visit, and juice and cookies were served immediately, with the childrens’ help, upon their arrival. The children all sat or stood around until they were excused to go play in or out.

Day 20

Last full day. Final push to finish. Fred tackled the reshaping of the linen closet doors and added molding around the opening. Once that was done his attention shifted to making molding for an inset door from another room. There was only Styrofoam and jagged cement for attaching, so the frame was screwed together and glued in place.

Sue was able shift the fabric around, and used a tablecloth as well, to get 4 crate covers made. 2 are double stacked. Cecelia (An American friend of Jenny’s married to a Serb. Sue borrowed her sewing machine, some patterns, and got some fabric scraps from her.)came to say good-bye and brought Sue the cutest little pepper mill in the shape of a turkish coffee mill.

After supper, while the family talked on Skype, Fred cleaned up the outside tools and then William started a conversation about America and Serbia. They sat in the yard until well after dark, being like Serbians, enjoying the evening together and talking over many things. Sue was trying to pack all the goodies she wants to share when she gets home. She was not successful at meeting the weight requirement so she went to bed.

Day 21

This day’s report would go under the classification of the longest day. We have become accustomed to the Serbian summer and were up, ready to prepare for leaving quite early. There were several little things to see accomplished before we left … and the packing of the suitcases. We had brought several things over that we were leaving, so expected we could bring several items back to the States. Sue had started with her suitcase the previous night and had everything well placed and protected, but was over weight, so it needed to be revised. Then there was the getting the left over into Fred’s and the remainder into the carry on, having it well packed to protect glass bottles and the suitcase fullso as to not be squashed. Wrapped around this was folding up the couch in the office we were sleeping in and moving the last wardrobe back into Steve and Jenny’s bedroom. Then there is the unplugging of our joined lives by leaving this and “this is where is that was put” etc, and finally, pictures!

Off to the airport and an easy check in with minimal lines and the short flight to Frankfurt. Frankfurt has a huge airport and had us ride a bus from the tarmac to the terminal, go up to security and back down to the departure gate. A lot of walking before loading for the flight to Chicago. We were scheduled to fly for 9 hours and land two hours later than we left. All went fine until O’Hare was shut down due to storms. We circled over Indiana and Ohio for 3-4 times and then had clearance for going when it was decided to divert to Indianapolis to refuel. We arrived in Chicago at 10:45 to travel to our friends in Aurora and spend a little time catching up. Bedtime was 24 hours after the start of our day in Serbia.

This has been a good trip to help with construction that Steve was not able to do, sew projects and mending that a mother can not get to, provide a “grandparent” relationship for the children, encourage a missionary couple, and see the work they are involved in. We would encourage you to get to know one missionary family well and even consider visiting them.

We are sending this to both our weekly update list and those who have asked to be sent trip information. If you have not seen the daily reports from our trip and would like to see more, you can go to the TeamWorkers Abroad Facebook page or let us know to send you an email.